Monday

Nordic Winters

I saw people walking on the sea and I wanted to do that too!

I came to Scandinavia when last year's winter was nearly over, so I truly experienced the winter for the first time in the past three months. I am from a country where the temperature range is 45C to 10C and the change of seasons is quite mild. Close to the Arctic Circle, the weather change is an experience in itself.With consistent negative temperatures, the sea freezes, and a whole range of new activities start. The ice is thick enough to support the weight of a human being and in some cases, cars too.

When the sea froze, I saw people walking on it and last weekend I decided to do that too. As I treaded carefully on the ice, I sensed the amusement with which kids watched me take steps and I am sure that they could just smell my fear. Near the shore, the ice is sometimes not thick enough, so one has to look for "entry spots". We kept looking for a lot of footmarks to guarantee the solidness of the ice. We had all heard to stories of people losing their life doing this, and we were nervous.Well, we did take a few steps on the frozen sea, but it will take us longer to be able to walk on the sea with the ease with which the Finns do. So And then to move on to more exciting things like ice fishing and snowmobiles!

We kept taking pictures of the frozen sea, and the people walking on it t share this incredible sight with folks back home. The most fascinating sight was this guy zooming around in this mini jeep on the frozen sea (picture enclosed).

I have truly enjoyed the winter and I shall look forward to another one to walk on the sea once more.

No comments: